FiftyForward enriches the lives of adults 50+ by providing pathways to health, well-being and lifelong learning.
Launched in 1956, FiftyForward is Middle Tennessee’s premier agency serving persons 50 and older. Through our life enrichment programs older adults live fuller, more productive lives with a sense of dignity and self worth. At our centers, members participate in hundreds of educational and wellness programs. Through our supportive care services we help individuals who are frail or homebound. In addition, we help caregivers gain resources to meet basic needs and improve quality of life. For those who are interested in giving back to the community, we coordinate exceptional volunteer opportunities. Our programs and services are described below.
Download the Profile as printable PDF.
(* accredited by the National Institute of Senior Centers)
Davidson County Centers:
108 Donelson Pike
Nashville, TN 37214
3315 John Mallette Drive
Nashville, TN, 37218
174 Rains Avenue
Nashville, TN 37203
301 Madison Street
Madison, TN 37115
J. L. Turner Center
(Bellevue YMCA partnership)
8101 Highway 100
Nashville, TN 37221
Williamson County Centers:
8607 Horton Highway
P.O. Box 223
College Grove, TN 37046
960 Heritage Way
Brentwood, TN 37027
Enrichment Opportunities for Active Individuals
Members participate in activities that provide personal growth, health, wellness, and community involvement. Our centers offer more than 100 instructional classes including computer training, oil and watercolor painting, picture framing, creative writing, card games, foreign languages, and performing choral, drama, band and dance groups. Members participate in a variety of exercise classes, including Tai Chi, yoga and Zumba. Popular dance classes are line dancing, tap, square and ballroom dancing. Other health and fitness opportunities include classes in walking, swimming, and fitness as well as periodic health screenings and lectures. Special interest groups cater to singles, couples, men or women only.
The Larry Keeton Theatre
The Larry Keeton Theatre, located at FiftyForward Donelson Station, presents plays and musicals year-round for the community. Other offerings include café and special entertainment concerts. Call (615) 883-8375 or visit www.thelarrykeetontheatre.org for a performance schedule, ticket prices and other information.
Volunteer service opportunities are available at our centers and through specific programs. Annually 3,000 older adults invest approximately 250,000 volunteer hours in the following FiftyForward programs.
- RSVP matches individuals’ interests and skills with community based programs. For information on volunteer opportunities in the Nashville area, please call (615) 743-3424.
- Friends Learning in Pairs (FLIP) places older adults in grades K-4 to mentor/tutor academically at risk students. To learn more about tutoring, please call: (615) 743-3422.
- Foster Grandparents provides one-on-one loving relationships and support of older adults for approximately 1,200 at-risk children annually. To learn more about this mentoring program, please call: (615) 743-3420.
FiftyForward Travel offers excursions from daytime trips to destinations as far away as Australia and Italy. Each adventure is expertly supervised and planned with the interests of the participants. Special attention is given to travel ease and comfort. The FiftyForward Travel program is open to all FiftyForward members and welcomes participation of guests. For more information, please call tour coordinator Janice Judd at (615) 231-1235.
Forward Focus, FiftyForward’s newspaper
Forward Focus, FiftyForward’s magazine, is published quarterly and directed to the 50+ market. Each issue contains news articles on topics of interest to older adults, center event calendars, special features and information on specialized products and services. Complimentary copies are available at Davidson County public libraries, FiftyForward centers and various locations in the community. For more information, please call (615) 743-3430.
SUPPORTIVE CARE SERVICES
FiftyForward Living at Home Services is a comprehensive program offering a full range of resources to frail and homebound elders and their caregivers annually. Specific services include:
- FiftyForward Adult Day Services* offers a nurturing community for older adults. Through ADS, family caregivers can continue to work, gain support and receive assistance in locating additional resources. Older adults who have health and/or memory issues can still enjoy an active social life. We offer lifelong learning opportunities for all abilities in a sensitive, caring, safe and enjoyable environment. Nutritional meals (more than 4,000 annually), along with transportation and social services are provided as needed. To gain help for your loved one more, please call (615) 463-2266.
- FiftyForward Meals on Wheels* delivers more than 25,000 meals annually. Deliveries are made for weekday and evening meals, as well as special deliveries for weekends, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Meals are prepared by FiftyForward’s food services staff and are delivered by more than 300 volunteers who enjoy building relationships with our clients. To receive meals or to volunteer, please call (615) 463-2264.
- FiftyForward Care Management team members make in-home assessments of clients’ needs. Assistance and advocacy are provided to connect clients to services that meet their specific needs. This includes food, housing, transportation, health care, counseling, and in-home assistance. For information, please call (615) 743-3416 (Davidson County) or (615) 376-4334 (Williamson County).
- FiftyForward Care Team helps adults and their caregivers understand and navigate the network of services available. Support includes assessing need, selecting and purchasing services, monitoring care, accompanying clients to appointments, making home visits, and other individualized tasks. Call (615) 743-3436 to schedule an assessment. Sliding fee scale and payment plans are available.
- FiftyForward Conservatorship is a program to assist with decision making when an older adult can no longer do so and has no one who can help. This relationship is through court appointment for FiftyForward to serve as conservator of property and/or a person. For additional details, please call (615) 743-3414.
- FiftyForward Victory Over Crime offers care management and in-home support services to those 50+ who are victims of crime. Victims become survivors through resources, safety plans, assistance in the courts and advocacy. To learn how this program can empower you, call (615) 743-3417; or to volunteer, please call (615)743-3481.
* These programs are housed at Second Presbyterian Church, 3511 Belmont Blvd., Nashville.
For additional information about FiftyForward, please visit our Web site: www.fiftyforward.org.
As a 501(c) (3) organization, FiftyForward relies on a variety of funding sources, events, and projects to support our programs, activities and services. Included in our support base are individual and corporate donors, the State of Tennessee, the Corporation for National and Community Service, the Office of Criminal Justice Programs, municipal and local governments, foundations, the Greater Nashville Area Agency on Aging and Disability, the United Way of Metropolitan Nashville and the United Way of Williamson County.
The FiftyForward Endowment is the agency’s permanent endowment fund, annually returning a portion of the accrued interest to FiftyForward centers and programs and supporting growth through education and planned giving. For more information, including planned giving opportunities, please call (615) 743-3434.